23 August . 2018
Off for a long vacation? Here are some tips to prep your home for an extended absence
Rancho Sienna offers low-maintenance garden homes with yard maintenance provided, so you don’t have to worry about the grass overgrowing or the flowers dying when you leave for vacation. Whether you plan to leave for week or much longer, these easy tips will help you prep your home inside and out, so it will be in great shape when you return.
- Turn the thermostat up to about 85 degrees. That will protect your plants, furniture and other contents while keeping your energy bill down.
- If you have a pool, leave the pump turned on to keep the water clean and algae-free.
- For plumbing, ask a friend or neighbor to run the faucets once a month, to prevent sewer gas from entering the house, and to keep plumbing fixtures from drying out and cracking. Also ask them to flush toilets and run the dishwasher once a month.
- Run the sink disposer and flush it out with a cup of half vinegar and half water.
- Set our water heater on “vacation mode.” After a long absence, flush it by running the hot water until the heater is empty.
- Clear all perishable items out of the refrigerator. For a long absence, clean and clear out the refrigerator, but fill it with bottles of water to help it run efficiently. Also clear all persishable and opened items out of the pantry.
- Unplug items such as small appliances, TVs and computers, and make sure smoke detectors are in good working condition.
If you’re already starting to dream about that long vacation, explore low-maintenance homes in Rancho Sienna, where 100+ acres of parks, trails, recreation centers and natural open spaces make every day feel like an adventure.
Previous PostRancho Sienna’s community garden opens in time for fall planting
Older PostPulte offers Life Tested features in Rancho Sienna
Want More Information?
- 2021 (10)
- 2020 (26)
- 2019 (73)
- 2018 (134)
- 2017 (39)
- 2016 (58)
- 2015 (12)